Monday, January 19, 2009

Mining in West Greenville


Working in West Greenville is sometimes like entering another universe. Its hard to believe that only six or seven blocks away is a safe little Starbucks. But I would never walk those seven blocks because of what lies between. We see many of the same characters every day walking past our front windows. The warm months bring more traffic, but there is a surprising amount even on this gray, cold, pre-snow day.

This picture was taken today on my afternoon walk today with Zolie. Someone has been mining for copper in the air conditioning unit behind the Shoeless Joe Jackson bar. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

I wonder how much they got?

5 comments:

Kelley Smith Style said...

hopefully enough to buy a famster!

kyle said...

I bet they could buy two or three! Glad to see you're reading my blog. You may be the only one :)

Deb at Merciful Hearts Farm said...

Sadly the same folks who steal like this are often the ones who complain that "their" neighborhoods are so run down. At least, I'm assuming no one from a suburb in Powdersville came in to take this poor businessman's copper????

Kelley Smith Style said...

i love reading it--you have a great sense of humor and you're a good writer. keep up the good work!

Peter of Carolina said...

Copper theives stole the wires for the lights on the freeway here over a year ago and the lights are still out, but I think that copper went way down recently. Interesting blog I enjoy reading it when I find the time. (and remember)
Peter